SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL SERVICES (SES)
What are supplemental educational services?
- Free tutoring and extra help with school work in subjects such as reading, math, and science
- Instruction must take place outside the regular school day
- Offered by State-approved providers
Who are the providers?
- For profit and nonprofit businesses, religiously-affiliated organizations, or Community-based organizations approved by the State of Florida
- Must have proven record of effectiveness
When is a child eligible for SES?
- In accordance with provisions stipulated by the State of Florida, your child qualifies for SES if he/she attends a Title I school and have scored a Level 1 or 2 on the 2012 Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT).
- School districts pay State-approved Providers and facilitate parent/provider contracts. The 2012-2013 preliminary per pupil allocation for Miami-Dade is $1,245.
Where will tutoring services be conducted and will transportation be provided?
- Services may be provided in a student’s school or at another location
- School districts are not required to provide transportation for eligible students to and from the tutoring location.
Where will I find information on the providers?
- For the list of State-approved providers for 2012-13 (click here). This list will be made available to parents at all Title I schools.
- For more information, you may contact the school.
What should I ask the providers?
- In order to help parents make the choice that best meets the needs of their child, suggested questions to ask SES providers have been developed by the District. To view the questions to ask the provider (click here).
What do I need to do to enroll my child for SES?
- Complete the SES Application, if your child attends a Title I school and have scored a Level 1 or 2 on the 2012 FCAT. Enrollment period for 2012-2013 school year will be announced in the Fall.
- When completing the enrollment form, parents must select three providers in order of preference. Every attempt will be made to place the student with the provider selected. In the event none of the selections are available, the student will be assigned to an alternate provider from the list of state-approved providers.
- For an SES Application to be valid it must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian and submitted to the appropriate M-DCPS staff.
- You must return the SES Application Form on the enrollment period deadline (TBA), to your child’s school or mail/deliver it to:
Title I Administration
Attn: SES Enrollment
1450 NE 2nd Avenue, Room 500
Miami, FL 33132
If you send the application form by U.S. mail, the SES Application must be postmarked by the last date of the enrollment period September 28, 2012. Also, you may submit the SES Application Form online by visiting the Parent Portal at: http://www.dadeschools.net/parents.asp. To view the Parent Portal Supplemental Educational Services User Guide (click here).
- Please note that students will be prioritized if there are not enough funds to offer services to all eligible students whose parents request the services.
Who do I ask if I have more questions?
Questions may also be emailed to: NCLBSES@dadeschools.net
- Contact your child’s school, call Title I Administration, at 305-995-7637, or access this Web site link.
For 2012-2013 SES Enrollment Information - Click Here
For the 2012-2013 SES Schools - Click Here